Over the years as a Washington, DC wedding photographer, I’ve definitely learned a thing or two about what makes for a most successful wedding day. And I have found that, in general, the thing that makes the biggest difference in a wedding day is whether or not the couple hired a planner! I encourage all of clients to consider making this a part of their big day for all of the reasons below!
1. Stress Relief | On the day of your wedding, you have one job to do: enjoy it. I promise you, the day goes by in a flash and the last thing you want to be doing is worrying about seating arrangement changes and where the baker should drop off the cake. By hiring a planner, they take this weight off both you and your family (after all, mom deserves to enjoy this day as well!) so you can simply be present in the moment.
2. Scheduling | A service I provide to all my clients in advance of their wedding day is assisting them with their photography timeline as I love to ensure they have adequate portrait time! From there, we work with the planner to see how that fits into the overall plan and make adjustments as needed. That’s just one small piece of the big puzzle though as DJs, florists, caterers, etc all have timelines as well! When the big day rolls around, your vendors can do their best to help keep the day on schedule, but we also need to focus on our respective jobs to ensure we are delivering an outstanding product. Time management is best left to the experts!
3. Mediator | I promise you, at one point or another, a family member will try to interject their opinion about an aspect of your wedding day. And while it may be well-intentioned, it may also not be you! Your planner can serve as the neutral party during those tough situations and will act as an advocate on your behalf.
4. Design & Styling | Blogs, magazines, and Pinterest — oh my! There is an overwhelming amount resources that share beautiful wedding inspiration and it can be hard to decide which best fit your venue and personality. Sure, a wooden cake stand is stunning but it doesn’t quite work at a black-tie wedding! A planner will help you narrow your vision and design elements that fit within that idea to create a cohesive wedding day!
5. Preferred Vendors | Trust me, I was a bride myself once and thought, “hey, I can do it all myself and save some money!”. But let me tell you, that’s an easy lie to fall into! Planners can use their industry connections, knowing exactly who to work with that will fit within your budget, saving you both time and money. As a bonus, you know you are working with trusted wedding professionals.
And finally, I couldn’t just put this out there without giving you a resource of some AMAZING planners!
Ashlee Virginia Events
Atrendy Wedding and Event Company
Caroline Dutton Events
Cheers Darling Events
Claire Duran Events
Dear Sweetheart Events
Ginger & Blooms
Grit and Grace
Linda Ha Events